Friday, September 5, 2008

Where has the time gone??

I'm in the 3rd trimester today. How the heck?? It seems like just yesterday I was crossing my legs and fingers and toes to get to 8 weeks... then 12.... now I'm at 27?!?!

I had my 27w appointment with my OB today. Yet another doc in the clinic I hadn't met yet, and she seems to know her stuff. There's really only one I haven't clicked with and with my luck that will be the one on duty when I go in to labour.

I've been having pains, what I thought were Braxton-Hicks contractions from what I read and other pregnant women have told me. So the doc felt around and determined “yep. Braxton Hicks”. So, that’s that. I said "I thought BH weren’t supposed to hurt?" All she said was “don’t believe everything you read”. *lol* She did say I should time them and keep track of the frequency. If I have more than 4 in an hour, I should call. Or if they come with increasing frequency (every 10 mins, every 7, 5, etc.) then don’t bother calling, just go to Labour & Delivery so they can stop them. It’s not something I’ll mess around with, I have 4 friends right now on bedrest because they went into pre-term labour, so I’ll watch them but I won’t stress over them.

Bean is developing normally and is on track for being a big boy. She estimates he’s about 15” long and 3 pounds. I should start gaining a pound a week from here on in. I’ve already gained 22 (*sob*) but she says that’s totally okay. She doesn’t think I have as much weight to lose as I do (I wanted to be at a gain of about 15 for the whole pregnancy because I was already 15 over, but she said that gage is more for people who are “really” overweight).

I asked (AGAIN.. I ask this at every appt. because I have a different doctor and I'm hoping for a different answer :)) if she could give me anything to help me sleep?? Short answer is no :( I asked what about my friends whose doctors are prescribing Unisom and others? She said the Docs at this clinic say Unisom is somewhat addictive if you take it for more than 2 weeks and they know pregnant women are desperate for sleep, so they’ll take it for over the 2 weeks. Makes sense. I’d probably ignore that recommendation too if it allowed me more than an hour of uninterrupted sleep. It's the "I can handle it, it won't happen to me" scenario. So, no sleep meds for me. At least my Benedryl is safe.... it's the only reason I'm getting max. of 4 hours of sleep per night.

Bean kicked the fetal heart rate monitor off my belly. Heh. His heartrate was higher than normal (163, and it’s usually 147), but I bank that on the cheerios+sugar and the orange juice I had this morning.

Some of the results of my blood test on Wednesday are back already. My Iron is very good (it was 96 last appointment and it’s 25 today, so Bean is taking what he needs. I just have to keep taking my maternity vitamins and eat meat. Blech. I passed my gestational diabetes test. Yaye! I didn’t know if I would, considering what I ate that day and the migraine was coming on.

That’s about it. So, all is progressing the way it’s supposed to. Bean is healthy and loving his temporary living arrangements. Let's just hope he likes it enough to stay in there at least 9 more weeks. "Full term" is considered 36 weeks, but of course 40 would be better!

No comments: